How to Set Up a Webinar
Have you been putting off hosting your first webinar simply because you don’t know how to set up a webinar? Does the prospect of having to set up a webinar on your own intimidate you? If you answered yes, we’re here to help.
Most organizations are leveraging webinars as a powerful marketing tool. There’s nothing that you can’t achieve with webinars. Webinars can cover every kind of meeting from staff onboarding and training to product launches and in-house meetings. With that said, it’s crucial to learn how to set up a webinar. You want to know how to do this so that you can harness its potential to benefit your company.
Follow these 10 simple steps to start hosting your own webinars in no time.
1) Select your topic
The topic you choose for your webinar is one of its foundational elements, which is what will draw your target audience’s attention to the event. Therefore, pick a topic that is not only relevant to your industry, but will also provide the maximum value to your audience.
Don’t know what your target audience might be interested in? Instead of playing a guessing game, just ask them! Go through your FAQ section and social media pages, or ask your target audience to take a poll. Asking your audience for ideas will yield relevant topics that you can address through your webinar. By asking your audience for input, you are showing your audience that you care about their interests and needs.
2) Choose a suitable webinar format
Select a webinar format that aligns with and complements your topic and goals.
- Presentation – This format just involves a speaker who delivers a presentation accompanied by slides and audio/visuals. A presentation is ideal if you’re addressing a small audience.
- Product – This is essentially a demonstration of how to get the most out of one of your services or products. You may demonstrate this physically on camera or, if it’s software, use the screen sharing function.
- Interview – Another highly effective webinar format is an interview with a subject matter expert in your industry. Incorporate Q&As from your attendees to make such a session more interactive and fruitful.
When learning the ropes of how to set up a webinar, picking a webinar platform is one of the most crucial steps. There are a host of free and paid webinar software, but it’s vital that you choose one that fits your use case.
Consider the following: What features are you looking for? How many participants are you expecting? What’s your budget? Depending on your answers, decide on a platform that best fits the bill.
4) Create your registration page
First impressions matter, and your registration page is what will make an impression on prospective attendees. Many paid webinar platforms come with the option to create a registration page. You can also use a dedicated registration page creator to design your own page.
Choose an appropriate design and include a few points discussing the agenda of your event and the capabilities and achievements of your speakers. Clearly mention the date and time of your webinar on your registration page.
5) Set up your equipment and space
Choose a quiet space with minimal distractions for hosting your webinars. Prepare this space with proper lighting and a simple background to make it more professional. Next, get your equipment in order. All you need is a computer with an in-built or external webcam, a headset with a quality mic, and a stable internet connection.
6) Prepare your slide deck
The next step on our how-to-set-up-a-webinar checklist is preparing a slide deck to accompany your presentation. When doing so, keep in mind the golden rule for hosting a successful webinar — make it engaging.
For each sub-topic, only list your main points and elaborate on them when speaking. Choose a simple, minimalistic design for your slides to keep things professional, and be sure to include relevant pictures, graphs, video, and audio clips.
7) Send out your invitations
Your email invitations should give your attendees a clear idea about the value that your webinar will provide. Include the title of your webinar, the topics that you’ll cover, the date, time, and platform. Add a CTA button in a prominent part of your invitation, and directly take your attendees to the registration page.
8) Promote the event
- Advertisements and paid promotions – Paid ads can help you expand your reach beyond your marketing list and get higher attendance rates. Run your ads on popular platforms like Google, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Social media channels – Leverage your social media channels and make regular promotional posts in the days leading up to the webinar.
Finally, use your chosen webinar tool to conduct multiple dry runs before the final event. Go through your entire itinerary to make sure everything’s in order. You want to check the equipment and software to slides and the overall presentation.
10) You’re all set!
Now that you’ve mastered the art of how to set up a webinar using these 10 steps, it’s showtime! Give your attendees the webinar experience of a lifetime so that they come back for future webinars. Also, be sure to follow up with them at regular intervals. If you do this, you’ll have on your hands a loyal customer base like no other!